Sunday, March 19, 2023

Blog Post #2

Online Privacy & Data

How much privacy do you think you have? 

The answer is you basically have zero privacy when you are posting things online. Your online data is being built up over many years, it will actually last longer than you will. Everything you share from social media posts, TikTok, emails, text messages, etc, is data about you that keeps building up. Data lasts FOREVER.

All of this data can tell a lot about you. Where you have been, who you are with, what you have been doing, how you feel, and much more. We have no control over our privacy and the data that is being collected about ourselves. The feeling and meaning of privacy are going to be totally different in a few years. Without you even knowing it, social media apps can have access to a lot of your personal information. For example, all of your photos in your camera roll even when they are not shared on that certain app. People rarely read the Privacy policies before signing into an app and that gives them permission to find information about you without you actually being aware it is happening. 


How old were you when you got your first phone?

I was in 6th grade and it was a flip phone that had a purple case. I could only use it to call or text my parents or siblings. Looking back I am so grateful that my parents kept pushing me not to get an iPhone for as long as they did, even though I complained a lot. They were trying to protect me from everything on social media. I had no ability to post on social media; at that point in time with my flip phone. Nowadays, kids in kindergarten are begging their parents to get them a phone to go on social media. And some parents actually get them iPhones when they can't even read yet. Today, kids are growing up with social media and sharing everything about their lives online. With a click of a button, someone could find out everything about another person. The growing generation is going to have zero to no privacy left because privacy is completely changing. 


How do we PROTECT our privacy?

First, I would read more into this subject and educate yourself a little more because I believe that not many people know about how much your "private stuff" is actually public. I would also share these issues and use your voice. Help educate other people who might not be aware of this issue. The government can be a HUGE help to this issue. They can make sure that the internet and social media platforms are safe and they can enforce rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #12

 My Relationship with Technology     Technology is a huge part of our lives.   A lot of people think that technology and social media is a g...