Monday, March 20, 2023

Blog Post #3

 The Supreme Court


The Supreme Court is the highest court of the federal judiciary in the United States. After reading the article about the Supreme Court on history.com; I learned a lot of new information. Before reading the article, I did not know a lot about the Supreme Court at all, so most of the information was new to me. I was aware that who is on the Supreme Court is very important. If you are a Republican or Democrat it is very important who is on the Supreme Court if the President is a different party than you. 

I think the most important thing to know about the Supreme Court is that they have the power to go over any of the actions made by the executive branch and the legislative branch. They are responsible to go over any laws within the United States and can go over the constitutionality of those laws. The Supreme Court bases its actions and decisions off of the Constitution. 

There are many historic Supreme Court Justices. The chief justice, John Marshall was the fourth Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. In 1803, Marbury v. Madison, he settles the Supreme Courts' power to review and rule the constitutionality of federal laws achieved by Congress. 

The most interesting information that I learned while reading the article was all of the important cases that took place. I have never read about them, I heard about the Roe v. Wade one but that was really the only one. One that really surprised me was in 1962, Engel v. Vitale case was about how prayers in public schools violate the first amendment. 

Overall, reading this article did not change my perspective on the Supreme Court but it did help me gain a better understanding of it. I learned a lot of new information that I was not aware of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #12

 My Relationship with Technology     Technology is a huge part of our lives.   A lot of people think that technology and social media is a g...